‘Put Me in the Zoo’ Sensory Bin

Alittle intimidated to be making my first post on my first blog so, instead of jumping into talking about our preparations for our first homeschool year, I figured I’d take a step back into my comfort-zone and talk abit about another one of our family firsts: our first sensory bin.

I fell in love with the idea of sensory exploration from the moment I first read about it and sensory bins seemed to be the least messy way of enjoying this type of play with my children. Of course it was only a matter of time before I let go of my fear of mess and started handing them bowls of shaving cream, but thats a post for another day.

Our first bin was based off the book “Put Me in the Zoo,” by Robert Lopshire. A personal favorite of my son’s.

P1120802

Inside the bin: plain white rice, a small “spot box,” plastic monkeys, foam letters spelling “zoo,” felt spots in varying colors, and squares of silky spotted fabric.

P1120803

LittleMan was fascinated and played with it for over an hour the first time we offered it to him, then asked to play with it again first thing in the morning the very next day.

P1120813

He filled the box with rice and poured it out. He filled the box with felt spots and poured them out.

P1120808

He poured the rice over his own hands. He rubbed the silk squares against his cheeks.

P1120806

Overall it was hit, and so our love of sensory bins was born.

P1120804 

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “‘Put Me in the Zoo’ Sensory Bin

    • Thank you!
      Its so funny but I didn’t even realize it until you posted this comment, there is actually a huge error in my post, the book is called “put me in the zoo” not “take me to the zoo.” Ah well, I should probably correct that soon.
      On another note, I look forward to seeing what the upcoming week’s theme is!

    • I had a large piece of thick cardboard that I traced the entire Gack (antlers and body) on to, then I cut it out in one large piece. I papermache’d over the entire thing to make it sturdier, then painted the Gack brown and the antlers cream. I attached a small box to the back of the Gack and filled it with bricks so that the Gack would be bottom heavy and more-likely to stay upright. I also attached a dowel rod to the back of the main part of each antler to keep it from bending over if it got hit hard with a ring.
      Overall the construction was time consuming but worth it. I spent less than $5 on the whole thing and it was a favorite game at the party. Also it was still in great condition despite some rowdy 3 year olds, so my son was able to play with it for a couple weeks after the party before we finally dismantled it.

      If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know. I’ll help any way I can.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s